Friday, 25 January 2008

Being a communist

- I am actually a communist, honey, she said to me.

She was dressed in leather, like she was ready to ride a Harley. Between the long leather jacket and the leather boots, you could imagine her knees under her jeans. Her lips were in red, a bright red.

- Well, I am not a communist, I replied. By the way, how old are you?

It was last night. We've just watched "Mr. and Mrs. Smith" by Hitchcock at Kinoteka, and we were walking down Ferhadija street looking for some place to eat ćevapi.


- I was a child in the last Yugoslavian times, but I can still remember some things. My mother worked and earned good money, as my father. She brought me a toy when she was back home every single evening. We could go wherever we want with our Yugoslavian passport without a visa. In summer we sometimes went to the beach and to spend some days there. Some friends of us bought houses in Dalmatian coast so we just paid visit to them and we had a great time all together. We had a good house, a good car. Tito was a dictator, I know, we all know about that. But now people would like to go back to these times. We had a good life, all our needs were covered.

I gave her my most sceptical look. She ignored that and keep on talking.

- The war crashed all that life. Now everyone that is lucky enough to find a job works from dawn to dusk, and they need a loan from the bank even to buy a computer, or a second hand car. I don't know anyone who spend the holidays in the coast anymore. Every single person in this country needs a visa to go abroad. It is almost impossible to study in a college abroad. So now people blame the war, but not Tito. We think that he was a good president.

Now my feet are trying not to slip in Baščaršija frozen streets. Some souvenir shops sell Tito red t-shirts with slogans saying he was the best.


(Dedicated to you, honey).


OST The Pretenders - Don't get me wrong (Radio Sarajevo)

No comments: