Thursday, 17 January 2008

Follow the city lights

First night in Sarajevo. Chiara and Samir picked me up in the airport and take me to my hill. It is cold, really cold for me. I left my palm trees city this morning, it was 20 degrees. Too hot for November actually. The thermometer in the arrival hall of the airport showed me how hard will my next days be: -2 degrees. Too cold for a palm tree.

The red taxi parks in front of the house after around 20 minutes of small talk to Chiara. Samir was quiet all the way to the house, seated next to the driver, looking forward trough the window. He apologises, I'm not feeling well, he says, so I'm not going to work tomorrow. See you on Monday then.

Chiara opened the door of my house. I left my luggage and she explains everything about the house to me. Here is the kitchen, this is the boiler, you turn it on and wait around 10 minutes to have warm water, look, this is the TV control, yes it's this. And this is your room.



After all the tour around the house, we are back in the living room. Then I look at the window and I said something like, wow, what a great views. She just nods her head and smiles.

Few minutes later, I'm looking for my camera as she's saying See you tomorrow. I went back to that window in the living room and I took this photo. So this is it, just a bunch of lights, just a bunch of feelings. This is me now staring at the window, following the city lights. Sarajevo is under my feet, waiting for me to discover it. I can't wait for tomorrow to walk its streets.

Sunday morning, 6am in the morning. As I am going out from some club, I see the lights on the hills. I remember then the picture I took two days before from my living room. Now the tiny sparkling spots are surrounding me everywhere I look, on the sky and also on the hills. Look, the stars have fallen from the sky, some drunk guy said.

If this is possible, it's only possible here, I think to myself.

A girl in a red dress nods her head next to me and smiles just before getting into a cab.


OST Cold War Kids - We used to vacation

1 comment:

Jose Luis said...

Cuando viajo, lo que más me gusta es justo cuando llego, dejar las maletas en el hotel / casa, salir solo y sentarme en cualquier terraza, pedirme un café (aunque parezca mentira el café dice mucho de los sitios) y observar...ver a la gente pasar, como miran y como viven la ciudad...es genial darte cuenta como la vives tú, y como la viven los que residen en ella...los olores, las formas...todo...

Y me ha dado un momento Carrie Bradshaw en Sexo en Nueva York que te cagas...y aquí vamos en manga corta porque hay 27 grados (esto lo hago para hacerte un poco de daño :P)